- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed*
- 3 tablespoons water*
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup almond milk, at room temperature
- 2 cups spelt flour (or white/wheat mix)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup cane sugar + 2 tablespoons sugar for the topping
- ¼ cup melted unrefined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely diced ripe mango
- ½ to ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine the ground flaxseed and water and set aside to thicken. Stir the lime juice into the almond milk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ½ cup of sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flaxseed mixture, almond milk/lime juice mixture, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the diced mango.
- Evenly divide the batter into the muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Sprinkle with the coconut flakes and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If desired, sprinkle lightly with the remaining sugar. Cool for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack to finish cooling.